Here are reviews from past seminar attendees.
South Central Regional Conference 2010 Review by Duane McGuire:
As I mentioned to you at WESTPAC, this was the best conference I've attended. You asked me to tell
you why in detail, so here it is. I hope it helps you with WESTPAC 2 ... even though by necessity, the
venue is much different.
So far, I've attended four conferences:
- National - Grand Rapids MI 2009
- PNWC - Bellevue WA 2010
- SCRC - Burnet TX 2010
- WESTPAC - San Francisco CA 2011
The SCRC conference was a winner for the following reasons:
- A beautiful and peaceful setting. I'm not a night-life guy, but miles of hiking trails, wildlife and
beautiful vistas are my thing.
- Friendly folks
- The setting required transportation arrangements from the airport for out-of-towners.
This was handled by chapter members. As an out of towner, I got silk-glove treatment
and an opportunity to visit with 3 instructors during the 1-hour ride to the conference:
Chris Solliday, Scott Jones, and Melanie Brooks. A good education in itself.
- The venue was small enough that instructors were very approachable. It was easy for me
to gain additional insights outside of classes.
- Meals included! This was a feature of the site --- there weren't any other onsite dining options.
In addition to its simplicity, it also provided an opportunity - 3 times a day - to get to know
other folks. I went there not knowing a soul, but having meals with peers was just part of the
program. This made making new friends easy.
- Evening activities: Members provided the entertainment. Talented folk singers, Jazz band, and
other performing groups. Telescope views of the night sky. The finale activity was a riverboat
tour of Lake Buchanan. The riverboat format was hokey, but the companionship was great. I
continued my education on that ride.
Overall, I guess it was the best ever for me because it was just plain comfortable. As an out of towner --
I came knowing no one -- and the convention organizers made me feel like an honored guest. It wasn't
an act. Everything was just arranged for comfortable interaction.
Since I spent the time to write this, I thought it best to forward on to SCRC folks. Thanks again guys
for a great time.